As a manufacturer, Rega is always looking at ways to reduce waste and avoid parts going to landfill. We are proud of the fact that we have employed a team of people (for many years) dedicated purely to reworking or recycling damaged parts. Unfortunately, there are always some parts that may have cosmetic issues deemed not acceptable ‘in our industry’ for use in an ‘A’ grade product. In some cases, it is not always economical to rework them, and such items are sadly destined for landfill. This is always the very last resort but as a responsible company we feel that we can no longer accept this as a viable option.
Attitudes to waste are changing, for many years, imperfect fruit and vegetables were discarded and deemed not fit for sale simply due to appearance. However, the popularity of such goods rebranded in the UK as “wonky fruit” has seen a vast increase in sales over recent years as consumers become more educated and aware of how important avoiding unnecessary waste is. Rega now works with 650 suppliers, (85% of which are based in the UK) and all have a responsibility to supply us quality parts. However, either due to poor packing, mishandling or transport some items may become damaged. These parts would often be classed as unrecoverable by our rework team.
This is where Rega Green Grade comes in. Instead of not using parts with cosmetic faults we have decided to use such parts to build Green Grade Rega products. These products will function and perform perfectly and come with our unrivalled Limited Lifetime Warranty against manufacturing defects. In an ideal world, all consumers would accept Green Grade and we would stop wasting valuable resources and reduce our carbon footprint. But for now, we hope these small steps will change people’s attitudes and deliver us all a better and less wasteful future.
For Rega this is a non profit initiative designed to use parts and save them from being disposed off.
The first GREEN GRADE initiative will be the ‘Planar 1 ECO DECK’ here is how it will work.
- We have a selection of Planar 1 and Planar 1 Plus plinths that are marked, scratched or obsolete (gloss P1 and P1 Plus for example).
- We have a selection of marked or scratched P2 and P3 high gloss acrylic plinths that will also be built as Planar 1. (We will fit the appropriate brass bearing at no extra cost for those using P3 plinths).
- Other green Grade components will be used as and when available such as platters and tonearms with cosmetic faults.
- All will be fitted with ‘A’ grade Carbon cartridges.
- The Plinths for the ECO DECKS will NOT be silk screened with a P1 logo so they can be easily identified as Green Grade
- Each ECO deck will be fitted with a Rega ECO lid badge.
- Each ECO Deck outer carton will have a sticker with the Rega Green Grade logo for easy identification.
- Every deck will be thoroughly tested and will have to pass all of the stringent tests that an ‘A’ grade Planar 1 would need to pass.
- Performance is not affected in any way.
- Lifetime Warranty is included against functional defects, but this will NOT cover cosmetics.
Huge savings to be had…..
The UK SSP for a Green Grade Planar 1 will be just £199.00 (normal price £299).
The UK SSP for the Green Grade Planar 1 PLUS will be just £229.00 (normal price £385).
Current products available under Green Grade
P1 gloss Black
P1 gloss White
P1 gloss Red
P1 Plus gloss black
P1 plus gloss white
Green Grade products are available to order via any Rega dealer or distributor.