Aphelion 2 is the 4th generation of our unique handmade moving coil cartridges. Taking the technology developed from the original Aphelion and the latest Apheta 3 to the next level, our engineers have now fine-tuned every aspect of the original designs.
The Ultimate in Micro Engineering and Design
The Aphelion 2 is the ultimate in micro engineering and design. Our unique hand-wound micro cross and coil assembly is built directly onto a Boron rod cantilever. The advanced ‘fine line’ profile nude diamond is then mounted through 90 degrees which offers extreme levels of stiffness and control over the stylus. This design requires a ‘zero tolerance’ approach to engineering to achieve the highest level of performance from a Rega cartridge to date. Designed to complement the reference range of Rega turntables including the Naiad.
- Graded zero tolerance black anodised aluminium body
- Boron rod cantilever
- ‘Fine line’ profile, nude diamond stylus
- Iron micro cross and coil assembly making one of the worlds smallest MC generators
- Worlds most powerful minaturised neodymium magnet
- High specification fine wire 0.018 mm
- Lifetime warranty against manufacture defects
Rega’s Moving Coil cartridge design is unique in its approach to achieving an ultra-low mass generator which is undamped (no tie wire) using a unique rhomboid pivot for the cantilever powered by a purpose designed, exclusive to Rega, Neodymium magnet system. This type of design requires a zero-tolerance engineered cartridge body which is Rega’s area of expertise and with the Aphelion 2 these bodies are machined from one piece of the highest quality aluminium. This is a difficult and expensive process requiring all of Rega’s years of experience to achieve. In particular, the “zero” tolerancing of the body is required in the alignment and dimension of the pivot pad mounting hole and the magnet mechanism mounting hole relationship.
Conventional MC cartridges utilize a steel suspension system (tie wire) which creates a high amplitude H.F. resonance (normally around 8-12 kHz). Such resonance is unacceptable and is usually damped by a rudimentary piece of foam rubber. However, the foam rubber deteriorates with age and cannot prevent the complete structure from vibrating and “ringing”. The specifics and adjustment of the tie wire and damping determine whether the cartridge is under damped (bright) or over damped (warm and bass heavy). A happy medium is rarely achieved. This encouraged Rega to pursue a new direction inspired by modern materials and the basic laws of magnetism. The Aphelion 2 contains neither a tie wire nor a foam damper. Moving coil aficionados will all recognise the long search for super clear, high frequency combined with firm, tight bass, characteristics all Rega moving coils exhibit.
- Tracking Pressure
- Input Load Impedance
- Output Impedance
- Nominal Output Voltage
- Channel Balance
≥ 10 μV
≥ -29 dB
For full technical specifications, download Aphelion 2 Instruction Leaflet below.
Load settings for adjustable MC stages
- 100 Ω
- 1000 pF
- Gain Setting
- High ('On' position for Rega phono stages)
- Aphelion 2 Instruction Leaflet 210KB pdf
This cartridge is a revelation, there’s no other word for it … If you want to know exactly what your records sound like it is very highly recommended.
- Compatible with all typical low output moving coil cartridges
- Three stage, all symmetrical pre-amplifier
- Fully adjustable
- RB3000 tonearm
- Apheta 3 or Aphelion 2 (optional)
- 18 mm Ceramic Oxide diamond cut platter
- DB technology with ceramic top brace
- Tancast 8 foamcore plinth
- P10 Advanced PSU
- Custom designed smoked dust cover
- Meticulously hand built
- Hand selected bearings to be an interference fit with the paired spindle
- Near frictionless movement horizontally and vertically
- Designed for maximum performance
- 1/4 wave transmission line enclosure
- ‘Environment match’ adjustment feature
- Rega ‘dual driver bass system’
- Integrated BMR driver technology
- Rega designed tweeter handmade ZRR10 HF Unit
- Real wood veneer
- 125 W per channel into 8 Ω
- 5 line inputs
- Headphone socket
- Solaris system remote control
- Direct input
- Pre-amp out
- Record out
Contact your nearest Rega dealer or global distributor
All Rega products carry a lifetime warranty against manufacture defects.
Every product we make is designed and assembled in the UK to the highest possible standard. This warranty covers genuine confirmed manufacture defects. This warranty does not cover wear and tear. Any unauthorised modifications or failure to follow the Rega recommended guidelines may invalidate the warranty.
Please see your user manual for detailed warranty information for your particular product. Your statutory rights are not affected.